“If you like piña coladas …
And getting caught in the rain …”
I do, in fact, LOVE piña coladas. Getting caught in the rain? Not so much. But there’s something about the tropical flavors of sun-kissed pineapple and sweet coconut that always makes me feel like grabbing some SPF 60, hitting the beach and dipping my toes in the sand.
Looking for some of those vacation vibes right now? Even if you can’t take a tropical getaway, don’t worry. You can still create a sweet escape at home with these six cool, coconutty and colada-inspired ideas.
6 Tropical Tips & Treats
- Piña Colada Trifle. All the sweet tropical flavors of a piña colada … in a trifle!
Serve these mini desserts in clear parfait glasses or mason jars to show off all those pretty layers of fresh pineapple, tender cake, and whipped topping.
- Orange Chile Coconut Shrimp. Craving something different for dinner? Enjoy a taste of the tropics with this crispy-coconutty shrimp and island dipping sauce.
Serve with a rice medley and fresh fruit. Oh, and if you aren’t a big seafood fan, try it with cubed chicken breasts instead of shrimp.
- Strawberry Piña Coladas. Sip the day away with these cool and creamy cocktails, sweetened with coconut, pineapple, strawberry – and (of course!) a splash of Caribbean rum.
Garnish with pineapple wedges, maraschino cherries, strawberries or little paper umbrellas.
- Citrus Glazed Pineapple Tiny Cakes. Aren’t they adorable?
Sweet and simple, these cute little cakes are such a fun twist on traditional pineapple upside-down cake.
- Coconut-Crusted Chicken Strips. Great for kids, these restaurant-style chicken strips are coated in sweet coconut and seasonings, then baked to golden-brown perfection.
For extra crunch and color, you can turn on your broiler for an additional 1-2 minutes, too – just watch them closely! Serve with honey mustard or BBQ sauce.
- Piña Colada Cake. And last but not least, try this Caribbean inspired cake, piled high with a fluffy coconut topping, toasted coconut and just a hint of rum.